Rich-text Reply

Using manual activation

marcvb 01-06-16

Using manual activation

I've setup a test with manual activation (using JS) but it seems like each visitor that matches the URL targeting is still being included. Is there anything we need to setup to make this work?

Marc

Level 2

AllisonR 01-07-16

Re: Using manual activation

Hi Marc,

The only two steps necessary for setting up your manually activated experiment are:

1. Set the experiment to manual activation mode
  2. Place the API call in the source code of your site

If you've done both of these steps the experiment should only be activated when the API call is made. If this is not the case, do you have an experiment ID I can take a look at? 

Best,
Allison

Allison
Sr. Technical Support Engineer
Optimizely | EMEA
Optimizely
marcvb 01-07-16

Thanks Alison. Yes, I have done both of those items. The experiment ID is 4493530061 - I am still testing this locally so you won't see the API call (the JS) just yet.

Level 2
marcvb 01-12-16

Any idea what may be wrong?

Level 2
AllisonR 01-13-16

Hi Marc,

Was this experiment initially set to manual activation mode? I've taken a look at the results and it appears the visitor count is most likely due to visitors being previously included in the experiment. Despite the results being reset, this does not reset the visitors' optimizelyEndUserId cookies which will continue to indicate that they have been included in the experiment. So as long as the experiment is running, visitors who were included in the experiment at any point will be reflected on the results page.

To test this, we can pause the current experiment, duplicate it, and start the new one with the activation mode set to manual from the start. In this case you should not see any unique visitors on the results page until the API call is in place. 

Please let me know if you're still having issues with this experiment and we can investigate further.

Best,
Allison

Allison
Sr. Technical Support Engineer
Optimizely | EMEA
Optimizely