Rich-text Reply

Variation Redirect and PageView Goals

BranKP 07-19-16

Variation Redirect and PageView Goals

Ok I have 3 variations of a landing page.  The Original, Variation 1, and Variation 2.  I would like to redirect Variation 1 to Variation 2, and then from Variation 2 I would like to track normally so that when a user moves to my conversion page I can track that as a pageview goal.  

I figured out how to redirect ok, I added this to the variation code:

window.location.href = "?optimizely_x6503380817=2&optimizely_force_tracking=true&optimizely_log=true";

and it redirects to the 2nd variation perfectly.  I can also see that the experiement is running when I type "optimizely.activeExperiments"  into the console in chrome.  However, when I view the Results, I don't see any indication that anyone has filled visited the conversion page.  I have the goal setup as a pageview, and a substring match with "thankyou" in it (which is always there).  Is there something with the redirect that could be breaking the way it's supposed to track?

Thanks!

Level 2

JasonDahlin 07-20-16

Re: Variation Redirect and PageView Goals

[ Edited ]

Are you getting no goals met overall, or just no goals met for variation 1?

You will not have anyone in Variation 1 that visits the thankyou page.
When you use the force parameters, you are actually reassigning them to that variation, so their conversion event would count for their current segment.

If you are doing a redirect, why are you redirecting them *and* forcing them into a variation 2?
A redirect should be simply taking them to the new page... no force parameters.

e.g.
1- user hits /landingpage
2- Optimizely:
a- if optimizely assigns them to control, the user is stays where they are
b- if optimizely assigns them to variation1, the user is redirected to /landingpage_1
c- if optimizely assigns them to variation2, the user is redirected to /landingpage_2

3- now you decide to end variation 1, so you pause that variation but also want anyone already assigned to variation1 to also see /landingpage_2. To do this, copy the redirect code from variation2 and place it into variation1.

Perhaps I am misunderstanding a few portions of your setup.

--Jason Dahlin
Analytics and Testing Guru Smiley Happy
BranKP 07-20-16

Hi Jason,

Thanks for the response!

Basically what I am attempting to do is use Variation 1 simply to redirect to Variation 2 with the Variation Code.  There are no changes to Variation 2.  It simply sits there and does nothing.  From there I'd like it to just run the experiment as normal, and track conversions if they visit the conversion page. I have it setup like this is because I also add a parameter to the url on the redirect, and when that parameter is detected by my PHP sourcecode it prints out different HTML than it normally would. I need to do it this way because a lot of my elements on my form are loaded dynamically and I can't change then with the Optimizely Editor.

The main issue I am having now with the Goal Results is that Variation 1 and Variation 2 are both listed in the goals, but I really only need Variation 2 listed as the starting point and the Conversion page as the goal. Hopefully I'm making sense?

Thanks!

Level 2
BranKP 07-20-16

Actually if I may quickly add... the conversions are not tracking for some reason. It shows the amount of visitors for Variation 1 and Variation 2. The goal is set to detect "thankyou" as substring match, which is indeed visited from Variation 2 but conversions remain at 0 for both of them... even after I visit the conversion page.

Thanks!
Level 2
Lyndsey 07-21-16

I would reiterate Jason's comment that you can simplify this implementation by directing all traffic to the intended variation (in this case, 2). You can use the code sample in our developers site to add the query parameter to the redirect url: http://developers.optimizely.com/javascript/code-samples/#helpers-add-query-param. Eliminating the force tracking and multiple redirects will be the first step in creating valuable data for your experiment, as well as identifying if there is a tracking issue.

Thanks,
Lyndsey
Technical Support Engineer
Optimizely
Optimizely
BranKP 07-22-16

Hi Lyndsey,

Thanks for responsing to my post!

That redirect code is a great help.  My goals appear to be tracking conversions properly now.

I really appreciate the help!

Level 2