Rich-text Reply

Variation without goal link is reporting clicks to the link

sstedman 11-18-15

Variation without goal link is reporting clicks to the link

Hi, folks.

I have a test running in which I'm tracking a link as a click goal. That link is not present on all variations, but my results show clicks being recorded for all variations (in different amounts) -- even for the variation that does not contain the link.

How do I make sure that the variation without the link does not send clicks to the goal results?

Thanks for your help.

Level 1

JDahlinANF 11-18-15

Re: Variation without goal link is reporting clicks to the link

Could you jQuery selector match a link that appears on some other page?
Goals, in and of themselves, are not tied to an experiment. Rather, they are merely actions that you want to measure (e.g., the "Thank You" page may be a metric you want to measure but your experiment only affects the homepage)
Lyndsey 11-19-15

NAP0LEON is on the right track here!

Since the goal uses css path as a selector, it will find that path on every page. The goal is tracking whatever element resides at the path. Since the link does not exist on the some variations, you can feel free to simply ignore the conversions that are being attributed to those variations within the results page. If that doesn't work, you can also change the selector of the goal and use a specific ID or class that is associated only with the link, rather than a css path.

Here's more information on finding jQuery selectors on your live page:
https://help.optimizely.com/hc/en-us/articles/200829734-jQuery-for-Nontechnical-Users
Thanks,
Lyndsey
Technical Support Engineer
Optimizely
Optimizely
robertchan 11-19-15

I agree with both NAP0LEON and LYNDSEY. Here's a good way to make sure this doesn't happen in the future:

Let's say you have the following link you'd like to track:

<a href="#" class="funkyBlue">SOME LINK</a>

Simply add an additional class to this link like so:

<a href="#" class="funkyBlue butAlsoFlamingoPink">SOME LINK</a>

Now when you track that link, you can use your new unique class .butAlsoFlamingoPink. I would highly recommend adding something that also lets your developers know that this class belongs to Optimizely so instead of just butAlsoFlamingoPink, you could call the class optButAlsoFlamingoPink.
Robert Chan

Experimentation Hero