Rich-text Reply

Viewing Data on Google Analytics

360training 03-16-15

Viewing Data on Google Analytics

Hi,

---

Background:

I created an experiment and I want to see data via Google Analytics - I made sure that integration is set to "ON" under prject setting. I also have a custom GA slot set to 1 for the experiment

---

My site's set-up:

Google Analytics is applied using Google Tag manager (GTM). Optimizely is added outside GTM. 

---

Issue: 

I need help viewing data on Google Analytics - specifically - I am at the point of creating custom segments to view data - however I do not see the custom variable for optimizely on google Analytics. 

I already looked here: https://help.optimizely.com/hc/en-us/articles/203928738

According to the above article - "Start typing the word 'Optimizely' and you should see a list of valid experiments populate. Select the appropriate experiment (Note that it may take up to 24 hours after installing the snippets and enabling the integration for GA to start seeing data and this auto-populate to start). "

However, that is NOT the case at my end. The experiment has been running more than 24 hours already. 

Please help. Thanks!

MartijnSch 03-17-15

Re: Viewing Data on Google Analytics

You probably have to view the data in a custom report instead of the default reports as the custom dimensions you've created are not visibible yet in the interface.

greg 03-17-15

FIrst step is to make sure data are being sent to GA, and it sounds as though it isn't. Did you add the following Optimizely API script?

// Optimizely Universal Analytics Integration
window.optimizely = window.optimizely || [];
window.optimizely.push("activateUniversalAnalytics");

It should be after ga('create', ...) but before ga('send') in your code.

If you are using GTM's pageview tag, then things get messy. In short, the easiest thing to do is to not use the Pageview tag and instead use a Custom Javascript/HTML tag to fire the pageview event, so that you can add the Optimizely code inside.

Once you have that in place, make sure you create a corresponding custom dimension (index 1) in GA.

See if that works.
Level 2
360training 03-18-15

Hi Greg,

If I am using Classic GA in GTM - how would i approach that?

greg 03-18-15

Are you using the default Pageview tag in GTM, or a Custom Javascript/HTML tag to track pageviews? If you're using the default Pageview tag then you must switch to the Custom Javascript/HTML tag in order to be able to insert the Optimizely API script.
Level 2