Rich-text Reply

What happens when you delete a goal?

Cameron 01-12-15

What happens when you delete a goal?

I've seen the warnings about deleting goals: you'll lose all of the data associated with the goal.  But which data is that?  Does this just mean that the goal won't appear on the results dashboard?  I assume raw data for experiments won't be affected, right?

The goal I'm looking to delete was used by a number of past experiments.  It's also older than 4 weeks so I can't edit it.

Thanks,

Cameron

Level 2

Amanda 01-12-15

Re: What happens when you delete a goal?

Hi @Cameron - if you delete the goal, the data associated with this goal will be removed from all of your past experiments as well. So, if you want to continue seeing resutls for this goal, then I recommend keeping the goal and and creating a brand new goal that meets your updated needs. 

Is there a reason you are hoping to delete the goal? Let me what the use case is and I would be happy to provide more information. 

Optimizely
Cameron 01-12-15

[ Edited ]

Hi Amanda - Thanks for your reply.  Unfortunately, that doesn't really answer my question. It sounds like it just removes the goal data from the results dashboard. The raw data is not affected, right? In other words, if I delete a goal from a past experiment, but then get a copy of the experiment's raw data, the goal will still be in the raw data, right?

The use case is that I'm implementing a standard naming convention for goals to help keep things organized. Since I can't edit goals that have been used and are more than 4 weeks old, I have to create new goals.  Some of the old goals use the same custom event name that the new goals will use, so I either have to delete the old goals or use a different custom event name for the new goals (e.g. monthly_donation_v2).

Level 2
michaelwei 01-12-15

Hi Cameron,

You're correct in that the raw data is not actually deleted.

So theoretically, you could delete the old goals and re-create them, but, as @Amanda mentioned, it's best to create new goals with different custom event names to completely avoid any conflicts or confusion with past raw data.

Optimizely