Rich-text Reply

Why You Can't Edit a Goal

greg 01-03-15

Why You Can't Edit a Goal

I just learned that you can't edit a goal if any other experiment is using it, including archived experiments. If you want to edit a goal in Optimizely, your options are:

1. Delete the goal from all experiments and create a new one with the desired settings.
  2. Create a new goal with the desired settings, and give it a different name than the old one.
  3. Remove the goal from all other experiments (including archived ones), or delete old experiments that have that gold.

Hopefully this will save someone time from scratching their head and hopelessly searching the documentation.

Level 2

JDahlinANF 01-05-15

Re: Why You Can't Edit a Goal

Yeah, this kind of really sucks.

We have a Goal called "Checkout Step 1" which tracks PageViews for a specific URL using Substring match. Our DEV teams decides to create a second version of Checkout Step 1 with a different URL... what I'd like to do is update the existing goal to include the new page path.

Instead we... create a new goal with both URLs in it and add it to all experiments that I care about... at this point, changing the goal mid-experiment, the old goal becomes useless (failing to track conversions to the new URL) and the new goal doesn't have any knowledge or appreciation of the conversions that occurred before the goal was added.
JDahlinANF 01-06-15

Re: Why You Can't Edit a Goal

In my example above, the new "Checkout Step 1" pageview goal, my statement is not entirely accurate... "the new goal doesn't have any knowledge or appreciation of the conversions that occurred before the goal was added" -- it does pick up the previous 4 weeks worth of pageview data.

Reference articles for anyone following along.:

https://help.optimizely.com/hc/en-us/articles/200039915-Goals-Overview#retroactive_goals