Rich-text Reply

Will Optimizely redirect traffic multiple times while testing landing pages simultaneously?

MattS 04-06-16
Accepted Solution

Will Optimizely redirect traffic multiple times while testing landing pages simultaneously?

[ Edited ]

Hello All,

I read through the simultaneous testing and redirect experiments articles and I am not quite sure the exact nature of my question is answered.

Here's what I want to do: I have 3 landing pages in two tests: A, B, and C

Test 1:  100 visitors visit landing page B and see A and B

Test 2: 100 visitors visit landing page C and see B and C

Will any visitors follow this track: normal landing page of C > redirected to B and subjected to test one where they are > redirected to A; I don't want any of my traffic from landing page C to see landing page A.  Is there anything I can do to prevent this or will Optimizely automatically exclude users from test 2 from being a part of test 1?

Edit: After reading more, I feel I could use audiences to exclude the campaigns that bring customers to page C from ever being included in test 1.  For example, if X, Y,  and Z campaigns account for 100% of the traffic to page C and none of the traffic to page B (as it currently stands), I could exclude those campaign audiences from Test 1 and they would never be redirected.  Am I correct in that assumption?

Level 1

JasonDahlin 04-06-16

Re: Will Optimizely redirect traffic multiple times while testing landing pages simultaneously?

@MattS - Short answer - yes.  Users who are redirected to B would be eligible for B's experiment.

The easiest way to get around this:

1- When you redirect users to Page B, add a URL param such as:

?opt_redir=true

2- Add an exclusion rule to Test 1 so that any URL containing opt_redir=true is excluded.

This matches the logic you mentioned for excluding the campaigns that are the traffic in Test 2 but this would make maintenance of the experiment a bit easier (in case a different campaign ever started sending traffic to Page C).

--Jason Dahlin
Analytics and Testing Guru Smiley Happy
MattS 04-06-16

Re: Will Optimizely redirect traffic multiple times while testing landing pages simultaneously?

@JasonDahlin Thanks! I think in our case, it might actually be easier to exclude the campaigns using audience targets than adjust the URLs. Mostly because we don't see expanding the C-user base past a couple campaigns...Thanks for the options though and the quick reply!
Level 1