Rich-text Reply

exclude sales from users that have reached a goal

jayventura 04-27-15
Accepted Solution

exclude sales from users that have reached a goal

E.g. Customer is comes to site, and is part of the experiment as usual. But then interacts with a certain modal/popup. I'd like to track how many customers reach that goal, but then also exclude their sales.

Waht is the best way to go about this / is it possible?

Amanda 04-27-15

Re: exclude sales from users that have reached a goal

@jayventura - just to clarify your question....You have visitors coming to your site. All are included in an experiment. Some interact with a modal while others do not. 

If the visitor who **does not** interact with the modal convert, then you *do* want to capture this as revenue or conversion goal. But if the visitor **does** interact with the modal then you **do not** want to capture the revenue or goal. 

Is this correct? 

Optimizely
jayventura 04-27-15

Hey Amanda, thanks for the quick response.

You are correct. Some will interact with the modal, some will not, purely based on the user journey through the shop. Those that *do* interact with the modal, I *do not* want to consider as a conversion in the experiment.
jayventura 04-27-15

An interaction with the modal is basically that they clicked on a button that was on the modal and was redirected somewhere.
moravemj 04-27-15

Hey @jayventura,

You could track how many users click on the modal and track how many users get to your revenue page by using a pageview goal: https://help.optimizely.com/hc/en-us/articles/200090069 . Subtracting the two would then give you the amount of users that bought something but did not click on the modal.

If you wanted something more complicated, you could setup a bit of code in the edit code box to throw a custom event. When the user clicks on the modal, you could drop a cookie on that user. When the user then reaches the receipt page, you could evaluate whether or not they have that cookie and push a custom event in the case where they do not. PM me if you would like more information or a walkthrough on how to do this. 

Best,

Matt

Optimizely
jayventura 04-27-15

Awesome I think I can figure it out from here. Thank you for the suggestion Matt!
adzeds 04-28-15

@jayventura

Go down the Custom Event route suggested by @moravemj - Will be the most accurate way of doing it!
David Shaw
Level 11