Rich-text Reply

new and returning visitors

design3000 12-22-14

new and returning visitors

Optimizely write: "If visitors are using legacy browsers (IE7 and below) then they will be counted as “new” only for the first page they view, and on subsequent pages will be counted as a returning visitor."
Can you explain me more concretely, they will be counted as "new"only for the first page thex view (within the test-pages or all pages of the Website).

Is it correct, if i choose "new visitors", then only those visitors will be tastet, that visit my shop in general at the first time und this site (my testing page) is the first site that they start with?

JDahlinANF 12-22-14

Re: new and returning visitors

When a brand new person (or someone who cleared their cookies, new device/browser combination, etc.) hits a webpage with your optimizely snippet on the page, a few cookies are created. This is what triggers them as being "New". If the cookies exist, they are not new.

In reality, this means "anyone that Optimizely has never seen before".
It does not mean "new to your site".
When you first install Optimizely, everyone will be new.

Example:
If you are running an experiment with a Custom Audience of "New users", suppose you display a custom message on the page, users would only ever see that message on their very first page hit. If they refresh the page, they are not "New" on this second page hit (the cookies already exist) so they would not see the custom message again.
greg 12-23-14

[ Edited ]

@BrianAbad ian from Optimizely explained it to me this way: 

This segment is session-based. New visitor targeting will only bucket a user into an experiment for their very first visit to a page in your domain where the Optimizely snippet is implemented. On subsequent visits they will be categorized as a returning visitor.

A returning visitor once bucketed into a variation will continue to be served that variation upon subsequent visits.

Level 2
JDahlinANF 12-23-14

But this question is directed to the "legacy browsers" exception to how the rule works in general.

https://help.optimizely.com/hc/en-us/articles/201876450#new_returning

"This condition targets experiments towards new or returning visitors. This condition is session-based, meaning that the first time someone goes to a domain where your project code is implemented, they will be considered "new" for the remainder of the session (generally, this means until they close their tab/browser). In future sessions, those visitors will become "returning" visitors and thus won't be targeted as "new" visitors."

but...

"Compatibility note: If visitors are using legacy browsers (IE7 and below) then they will be counted as “new” only for the first page they view, and on subsequent pages will be counted as a returning visitor."

Brian_Abad 12-24-14

Hey @nap0leon ,

Great point! We've announced in September that we've deprecated support on IE6 and 7 so experiments may no longer run there. You can find the full announcement here: https://community.optimizely.com/t5/Product-What-s-New/Announcement-Starting-October-15th-2014-we-wi...

I hope this clears things up. Have a happy holidays everyone!

---
Brian Abad
Manager, Technical Support
Customer Success
Optimizely