Rich-text Reply

"URL used for preview below" using the wrong webpage...

rburck 04-29-16

"URL used for preview below" using the wrong webpage...

[ Edited ]

So... I duplicated an experiment into a "TEST" project so that I could thrash about on it without messing up my existing experiment... I've changed the URL targeting as well as the Editor URL...

01.png

But when I click on Set Up Goals and then click to Edit an existing goal, the "URL used for preview below" indicates that it is still using the ORIGINAL experiments URL and NOT the NEW URL...

02.png

Any ideas? This a bug? Or a feature that makes no sense? Smiley Wink Or (say it ain't so) user error?

Thanks!

R-

"Any plan no matter how poorly conceived, if boldly executed, is better than inaction."
~ Unknown ~
Level 2

DavidS 05-02-16

Re: "URL used for preview below" using the wrong webpage...

Hi rburck,

Thanks for reaching out!

I had a chance to log into your account and check on your goals. 

It turns out that goals are shared among the same project. So since the Contact Us goal you have was created in the other experiment, it is indeed the same Contact Us in both experiments.

If you happen to make changes in one goal, this will reflect in all experiments that this goal is used in. 

In your case, it looks like you have duplicated your experiment from another project. Hence why the Contact Us still uses the old URL, used in the other project. 

The fix to your issue is to create a new goal in the Ross-testing project. Optimizely will automatically pick the right URL this time. 

I hope that is helpful. Feel more than free to reply back with any additional questions at all.

Best,
David

Optimizely
rburck 05-02-16

David -

Thanks, I kinda figured that was the issue, but I'm wondering why, since goals are shared within projects, you can't edit the URL for each "instance" of a goal. If I understand you correctly, each goal will ALWAYS show it's original URL for preview. Yet the goals are designed to be shared by all your experiments within the same project.  

So say I create a goal that tracks based upon id="cta1" because it's a tag I use on all my landing pages and that will facilitate its re-use.  I create some experiments on different LPs and want to reuse this goal, which works great since I use the same id tag for each LP.  According to what you've told me, it doesn't matter which LP I use it on, it will ALWAYS preview the "URL Used For Preview Below" using the URL that the goal was created for and there's no way to change this except to create a new goal for each experiment... which kinda defeats the purpose for being able to reuse goals doesn't it?

Is this a correct assessment or am I just not understanding?

Thanks!

R-

"Any plan no matter how poorly conceived, if boldly executed, is better than inaction."
~ Unknown ~
Level 2
DavidS 05-09-16

Hi rburck,

When you decide to reuse a goal, you will be able to change the URL used for preview to match the new URL for this new experiment. That way you can select the right elements to track for this experiment in the Preview. 

The Preview URL is just there to help you select the elements you want to track - nothing more. Consequently, when you change the Preview URL on one experiment and then access the same goal in another experiment, the Preview URL will still be that one of the first experiment. You will have to manually reset it. In your case, that's exactly what you will want to do: reuse the same click goal with [id=cta1] and change the preview URL for this goal everytime you access it from another experiment. 

I do want to point out also that any changes you make while reusing the goal will affect all experiments that are using the same goal. 

Hope this helps!

Best,

David

Optimizely
rburck 05-16-16

David -

Thank you, I understand how it works, I guess I'm offering more of a feature request than asking an actual question... each "instance" of a goal should be able to hold it's own preview URL based upon the Editor URL... that way there's no mistaking which experiment you're in plus it just makes more sense to have it work that way. Especially if you're wanting things to operate more intuitively.

Alas, until that day comes I will just have to change it manually as you indicated...

Thanks!

R-
~ Unknown ~
Level 2