Rich-text Reply

tracking donations and actual conversions

FranJ 12-08-15

tracking donations and actual conversions

I am not sure what to do here.

We setup several variations each with the default 'donation' amount as something else. We want to test out the eventual conversion rates for these variations. 

For now I setup a simple Track Clicks. Whenever someone clicks from any of the variations it shows us who clicked.

Now the issue is, after clicking "Donate" it shows up a little options menu of One time/Monthly, with a dropdown of the different amounts (where we are testing what happens if we change the default amount listed?) 

Our goal here is to be able to track over time the difference in conversion rates. For this I am guessing we would need to get some type of tracking from the post purchase page. They can pay with Paypal or another gateway. But how would I be able to set it up that for each actual donation, we will know the specific variation, and if thy chose the default amount, or selected something else from the dropdown?

Sorry if I didnt explain it well,,,

Level 2

robertchan 12-08-15

Re: tracking donations and actual conversions

Is the menu option part of your site or does it exist externally - if it exists externally (e.g. iFrame), you'll need to reference tracking through that site. Otherwise, if you've built the options menu, simply place tracking on those menus. I would add a new class to each menu option if you'd like for things to be a bit more organized.
Robert Chan

Experimentation Hero
Amanda 12-08-15

Hey FranJ, The response from @robertchan is a good idea and one you could certainly use. Another option would be to set up a click goal for each amount specifically. Or, you could set up a custom event for thresholds of Donations. For example: Imagine your donation thresholds are 0-10, 11-50, 51+....You could do a custom event that triggers a specific event based on the amount selected. 

Let us know if either of these sound doable. 

// ensures the optimizely object is defined globally using
window['optimizely'] = window['optimizely'] || [];

// set donation variable based on dropdown value selected

//wrap in an if statement

if (donation < 10) {
    window.optimizely.push(["trackEvent", "Donation <10"]);
} else if (donation > 10 && donation < 50) {
    window.optimizely.push(["trackEvent", "Donation 11-50"]);
} else if (donation > 50) {
   window.optimizely.push(["trackEvent", "Donation 51+"]);
}

Optimizely
Amanda 12-08-15

Hey FranJ, The response from @robertchan is a good idea and one you could certainly use. Another option would be to set up a click goal for each amount specifically. Or, you could set up a custom event for thresholds of Donations. For example: Imagine your donation thresholds are 0-10, 11-50, 51+....You could do a custom event that triggers a specific event based on the amount selected. 

Let us know if either of these sound doable. 

// ensures the optimizely object is defined globally using
window['optimizely'] = window['optimizely'] || [];

// set donation variable based on dropdown value selected

//wrap in an if statement

if (donation < 10) {
    window.optimizely.push(["trackEvent", "Donation <10"]);
} else if (donation > 10 && donation < 50) {
    window.optimizely.push(["trackEvent", "Donation 11-50"]);
} else if (donation > 50) {
   window.optimizely.push(["trackEvent", "Donation 51+"]);
}

Optimizely
FranJ 12-09-15

Ok my skills in this area are still in student mode. 

This is the form itself. 

<form name="general_form" id="general_form" action="/cart.php" method="post" onsubmit="return validateGeneralForm(this)">
<input name="action" value="add" type="hidden">
<!-- Program ID 15 = "General Fund" -->
<input name="program_id" value="15" type="hidden">
<p>
<input onclick="popupAmounts_general(this)" name="product_option_id" value="one_time" id="one_time_gen" type="radio">
<label for="one_time_gen">Give a One Time Donation</label>
</p>
<p>
<input onclick="popupAmounts_general(this)" name="product_option_id" value="recurring" id="recurring_gen" type="radio">
<label for="recurring_gen">Give a Monthly Donation</label>
</p>
<p id="general_one_time" style="display:none;">
<select name="amount" id="one_time_amount_gen" onchange="showOtherAmount(this)"><option value=" 36">$ 36</option><option value="18">$ 18</option><option value=" 54">$ 54</option><option value=" 100">$ 100</option><option value=" 180">$ 180</option><option value=" 360">$ 360</option><option value=" 540">$ 540</option><option value=" 1000">$ 1000</option><option value=" 5000">$ 5000</option><option value="other">Other $:</option></select> <input id="txt_onetime_gen" class="text" name="" value="" title="Enter your custom amount here." style="display:none;" type="text">
</p>
<p id="general_recurring" style="display:none;">
<select name="amount" id="recurring_amount_gen" onchange="showOtherAmount(this)"><option value=" 36">$ 36</option><option style="" value="18">$ 18</option><option value=" 54">$ 54</option><option value=" 100">$ 100</option><option value=" 180">$ 180</option><option value=" 360">$ 360</option><option value=" 540">$ 540</option><option value=" 1000">$ 1000</option><option value=" 5000">$ 5000</option><option value="other">Other $:</option></select> <input id="txt_recurring_gen" class="text" name="" value="" title="Enter your custom amount here." style="display:none;" type="text">
</p>
<p>
<input class="donate_button" value="Give Now" type="submit">
</p>
</form>

What I want to know is:

If Variation 1 = default $18 donation, from 100 visitors 10 donations, how many were default amount? How many in Total?

If Variation 2 = default $36 donation, from 100 visitors 10 donations, how many were default amount? How many in Total?

If Variation 3 = default $54 donation, from 100 visitors 10 donations, how many were default amount? How many in Total?

Finally the last step is to integrate the data into UA. If we can keep that end goal also in mind here I think we may have something workable!

Level 2
FranJ 12-09-15

please note: The code above is from the $36 default variation...
Level 2

[ Edited ]

Hi @FranJ,

I might take the following approach:

• Fire two different custom events, borrowing from the code sample @Amanda provided; but instead of looking at dollar ranges you'd just look at whether the default donation menu option, or any other, was chosen.  You'll need to place this code inside the validation logic of your donation form on your site, so this may require developer assistance:
  1. When the default donation amount is submitted
  2. When any non-default donation amount is submitted
  • Then, to see the actual donation amount in both of these cases, fire a dimension value that captures the actual dollar amount.  You can then segment the Results Page by dollar amount, and see how many visitors submitted that amount, per variation.  You would also need to place the dimension API call inside your form validation code.
  • Finally, I would call the Revenue Goal so I could see the total dollar amount donated for each variation.
Harrison Krat
Solutions Architect | Optimizely, Inc.
harrison@optimizely.com

FranJ 12-14-15

Thanks for the @Harrison_Krat,

However what you said is still beyond my understanding of doing these things. Is there a youtube video that can guide me through all these areas so I can become familiar with them? This is all very new to me.

Also we do not have the enterprise edition, so I am not sure if we can even create any dimensions.

Level 2

Hi @FranJ,

Do you have developer resources on your team, or a team who regularly makes direct changes to your site?  Would you be able to share our suggestion and documentation with them to see if they can apply the custom event goals?

Without dimensions we can track the donation thresholds more in the method that @Amanda suggested, but we do still need to fire those goals as part of the donation form submission.

In general I do think you would get a lot of value out of dimensions and some other features that would require an upgrade.  Are you aware of Optimizely.org, our non-profit program?  We should be able to get you on an appropriate plan.

Please do let us know how we can continue to help.

Harrison Krat
Solutions Architect | Optimizely, Inc.
harrison@optimizely.com

FranJ 12-15-15

Hey @Harrison_Krat

Great suggestion there! We are working with a non-profit here, so they do not have a developer on staff.

I see on-going that there is a lot of potential here. I think with a few hours of training with an expert I would be able to get going with this for our clients.

Do you know anyone that can arrange something like this?

I would like to work with someone for a few hours relating to:

UA / Adwords / Optimizely integration. Someone who can do a share screen and walk me through it on actual tests we are running.

I also contacted the optimizely non-profit section, thank you for that. I hope they will be able to offer some solutions for this non-profit.

Level 2