Rich-text Reply

using Optimizly on a 3rd party website

ceyal99 06-14-15

using Optimizly on a 3rd party website

Hi,

I'm  building a new service that will be integrated on many websites (hopefully) and i'm looking to AB test my service effect on my customers website.

Basically I just need to gather analytics for the user exprience with my service and without.

Is that something that is supported by Optimizly?

Thanks,

Ron

Level 2

Mario 06-15-15

Re: using Optimizly on a 3rd party website

Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out to the Optiverse.

Is sounds that you are thinking of cross domain tracking. For example your service is implemented on your customer's website via iframe. Optimizely uses a couple of Cookies for execution. Unfortunately, 3rd party Cookies are not supported by every browser. Following article give you a good overview of Optimizely's Cookies and common workarounds for cross domain tracking.

I hope that is helpful!

Best,
Mario

Sr. Technical Support Engineer
EMEA | Amsterdam
Optimizely
ceyal99 06-15-15

Hi,
Thanks a lot for answering!
Actually, I'm planning to add a snippet to my customer so there won't be any iFrames or 3rd party cookies.

Thanks!
Ron
Level 2
Mario 06-16-15

[ Edited ]

Hi Ron,

How would the snippet interact with the page? Would it open a new window on which your service runs or would it manipulate the existing page?

Best,
Mario

EMEA | Amsterdam
Optimizely
ceyal99 06-16-15

Hi,
It will manipulate the page...

Ron
Level 2
Mario 06-17-15

Hmmm...

I assume in that case Optimizely would only run on the customer's page.

Best,
Mario

EMEA | Amsterdam
Optimizely
SpencerPad 07-01-15

If you are able to put the snippet on the customers page and you aren't trying to track any resources that are pulled in from another page like something like an iFrame, then that is exactly what Optimizely is meant for.

Optimizely doesn't discern who actually owns the page as long as they have your snippet on it.

If you are trying to track integration with a service that is pulled elsewhere from the page, like via iFrame, you will run into the issues outlined above with 3rd party cookies and partial cross domain tracking.

Cheers,
Spencer Padway
Director of Performance Marketing
Sellpoints